Donnerstag, 3. Juni 2010

I will witness the fall

I've been very very busy in the last two months, so I didn't have the time to update the blog. I was working on issue 3 of damn.good.coffee. since I decided to leave the 4-sheet fanzine behind and make a larger one with about 30 pages. Actually I wanted to release it by the end of January but I was neither finished nor satisfied with the output back then. Plus, copying this needs a lot of money which I didn't have. Tomorrow I'm going to send in the PDF-data to a copy shop and hopefully I can pick them up next week. I will keep you updated!

About music: A lot of new records found their way into my "collection" but I can't find the time to listen to them. But there's still one album that follows me whenever I go for a walk with my dog by night:


Owsla by Fall Of Efrafa.
This record definitively is the most atmospherically piece of work that I've listened to recently. If you can't link the name of the band with something: It depends on the book Watership down by Richard Adams. It tells the story of a few rabbits that leave their usual warren and start a long and dangerous journey because of a obscure and threatening prophecy one of them had before. Efrafa is the enemy warren, a totalitarian kind of society lead by brutal and tyrannical rabbits. Fall Of Efrafa manage to create the atmosphere that comes over you when you're reading Watership down - threatening, dark, but also with a glimmer of hope sometimes. The music is very heavy and like I've said atmospherically crust, so you can expect a lot of guitar intros, waltzing ranges of riffs and a desperate, angry vocalist. Usually, I'm scared of songs over 5 minutes (salute the last.fm generation), but FOF combine so many different and powerful aspects in their songs that I'm willed to even listed to songs beyond 10 minutes. The song writing is also an interesting aspect of Fall Of Efrafa. Generally it's based on the novel, trying to interpret the chapters of it. Nevertheless, it's written in a very universal way, so that you can transfer it to the here-and-now human society as well.
This is more a short overview over the band itself than a real review about Owsla. I can't really describe it song by song because it's a connected and growing album. Get it somewhere and read the book besides!
Ah yes, they played one of their last shows at Fluff Fest 09 and I didn't watch them ...



Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen